Jesus is called the Son of God throughout Scripture, and John 3:16 tells us that “[God the Father] gave His One and Only Son” to be our Savior. Jesus is both God and man, having been God forever, but also coming to earth through birth as a human [John 1:14], dying as a man [1 Peter 3:18], and then raising to life again in His human body [Acts 2:24], all while never ceasing to be God. Through Him, we all have been given the opportunity to receive the gift of His grace and forgiveness and be saved [Romans 10:9]. He tells the disciples that He and the Father are One [John 10:30], and because He Himself is God, He has the power to save us from sin and death.
BIBLE VERSES ABOUT THE SON:
(All verses are from the HCSB translation)
- “’For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.” – John 3:16
- “The Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We observed His glory, the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” – John 1:14
- “For Christ also suffered for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, that He might bring you to God, after being put to death in the fleshly realm but made alive in the spiritual realm.” – 1 Peter 3:18
- “God raised Him up, ending the pains of death, because it was not possible for Him to be held by it.” – Acts 2:24
- “If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” – Romans 10:9
- “My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.’” – John 10:30
- “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For everything was created by Him, in heaven and on earth, the visible and the invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.” – Colossians 1:15–16
Get more in depth discussion on these topics. Sign up for our email newsletter list to not miss any, as well as receive free Bible Study tools and great Apologetics resources.